The base assumption of my research program is that who we are is influenced greatly by our connections with others. My students and I bridge many areas of psychology and other social science disciplines (public policy, criminology, sociology) as we examine the complexities of these connections, focusing on (a) the experience of feeling too close to intimate others, (b) confusing the self with close others, and (c) the psychological distress experienced by jail inmates with competing allegiances to the criminal community at the community at large.
- Close Relationships
- Interpersonal Processes
- Self and Identity
- Social Cognition
Research Group or Laboratory:
- Human Emotions Research Laboratory
Note from the Network: The holder of this profile has certified having all necessary rights, licenses, and authorization to post the files listed below. Visitors are welcome to copy or use any files for noncommercial or journalistic purposes provided they credit the profile holder and cite this page as the source.
- Mashek, D., & Aron, A. (Eds.). (2004). Handbook of closeness and intimacy. Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
- Fisher, H. E., Aron, A., Mashek, D., Li, H., & Brown, L. L. (2002). Defining the brain systems of lust, romantic attraction, and attachment. Archives of Sexual Behavior, 31, 413-419.
- Fisher, H. E., Aron, A., Mashek, D., Li., L., Strong, G., & Brown, L. L. (2002). The neural mechanisms of mate choice: A hypothesis. Neuroendocrinology Letters, 23, 92-97.
- Mashek, D., Aron, A., & Boncimino, M. (2003). Confusions of self with close others. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 29(3), 382-392.
- Mashek, D., Aron, A., & Fisher, H. (2000). Identifying, evoking and measuring intense feelings of romantic love. Representative Research in Social Psychology, 24, 48-55.
- Aron, A., Mashek, D., & Aron, E. (in press). Closeness as including other in the self. Chapter to appear in D. Mashek & A. Aron (Eds.) Handbook of Closeness and Intimacy. Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
- Aron, A., McLaughlin-Vope, T., Mashek, D., Lewandowski, G., Wright, S. C., & Aron, E. (in press.) Including others in the self. In M. Hewstone (Ed.), European Review of Social Psychology. San Francisco: Wiley.
- Ickes, W., Hutchison, J., & Mashek, D. (in press). Closeness as Intersubjectivity: Social absorption and social individuation. Chapter to appear in D. Mashek & A. Aron (Eds.) Handbook of Closeness and Intimacy. Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Inc.
- Mashek, D., & Sherman, M. (in press). Feeling too close to intimate others. Chapter to appear in D. Mashek & A. Aron (Eds.), Handbook of Closeness and Intimacy. Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
- Tangney, J., & Mashek, D. (in press). In search of the moral person: Do you have to feel really bad to be good? Chapter to appear in J. Greenberg, S. L. Kooke, & T. Pyszczynski (Eds.), Handbook of Experimental Existential Psychology. New York: Guilford.
- Close Relationships
- Health Psychology
- Introduction to Psychology
- Research Methods
- Social Psychology
Dept. of Humanities and Social Sciences
Harvey Mudd College
Claremont, California 91711
- Phone: (909) 607-0452
- Fax: (909) 607-7600